Tuesday, July 28, 2015
8 Things Happy People Do
There are two types of people in the world. Those who chose to be happy and those who chose to be unhappy. What is happy? The Merriam Webster dictionary defines it as feeling pleasure and enjoyment because of your life, situation, etc. We know happiness doesn't come from fame, fortune, or material possessions. Happiness comes from within. The richest person in the world could be miserable and right outside his door a poor, homeless person could be happy with their life. Happy people are happy because they make themselves happy. They have a positive outlook on life and are at peace with themselves. What is it that makes a person happy? It’s simple, ask any happy person and they’ll tell you. Here are eight things I’ve learned from happy people:
1. Don't hold grudges - Happy people understand it’s better to forgive and forget than to let negative feelings interfere with their positive feelings. Holding a grudge can cause depression, anxiety and stress. If you let it go you’ll have a clear conscience and more energy to enjoy whats good in your life
2. Treat everyone with kindness - Its been scientifically proven that being kind makes you happier. Every time you perform a selfless act your brain produces serotonin, a hormone that eases tension and lifts your spirits. Treating people with love, dignity and respect also helps you to build stronger, long lasting relationships. Happy people make time for family and friends.
3. See problems as challenges - Happy people don't use the word “problem” the brain interprets the word problem as a negative situation. A challenge is viewed as something positive, an opportunity, something to overcome. When facing an obstacle in life look at it as a challenge. Life isn't always fair. Focus on what you can control and change it for the better.
4. Be grateful for what you have - Happy people don’t worry about what they don’t have. You’ll feel better if you “count your blessings” instead of yearning for what you don't have.
5. Live in the present - Happy people don't waste time dwelling in the past or worrying about the future. Stop and smell the roses enjoy what’s happening right now. Notice the little things. Life is too short to worry about what no longer matters. Try meditating, you don't need to be a Zen master to do it. Sit quietly for a few minutes breath deeply and slowly, it quiets the mind and helps to calm the nerves.
6. Wake up at the same time every morning - Waking up at the same time every morning stabilizes your circadian rhythm (body clock), increases productivity, and helps maintain a calm and centered state.
7. Eat well - Junk food makes you tired. Everything you eat affects your body’s ability to produce hormones, which affects your mood, energy, and focus. Eat foods that keep your body and mind in good shape. Add more fruits and vegetables to your diet.
8. Exercise - Studies have shown that exercise boosts happiness levels as much as antidepressants do. Exercise can increase your self-esteem and give you a sense of accomplishment.
Many spiritual practices follow these same principals. You can find similar prescriptions for happiness in The Bible, Patanjali’s Sutras, the works of Buddha and the vast amount of books available on spiritualism. All of them have one thing is common. If you live your life with Acceptance, Forgiveness and Gratitude you will be on the road to happiness, and who doesn't want to be happy? So Accept who you are, Forgive yourself and others for past mistakes, and Be Grateful for everything you have right now. The world is a beautiful place if you stop and appreciate it. Use all of your senses. Listen, look, taste, smell, and feel it. Your life is now, enjoy it and be happy.
May you be happy
May you be healthy
May all creatures on this earth large and small be free from suffering, Namaste
Ony Antonucci, Yoga Instructor
E-200 hr RYT, Kripalu 500-hr RYT (518) 832-8249